Data Engineer (mid-senior)
At Cuvva we’re building insurance the way it should be.
No more lengthy forms. No more waiting on hold. No more ‘computer says no’ attitude.
We’ve gone back to basics to build products that actually work for the customer.
We are super focused on creating a friendly, simple and hassle-free customer experience.
Don’t just take our word for it - check out our website (https://www.cuvva.com), click on the speech bubble in the bottom right hand corner and chat to one of the team.
About the Cuvva Team
We get it. Insurance isn’t traditionally considered exciting. At Cuvva we’re changing insurance and we are looking for people who find that as exciting as we do.
We're building a diverse team and we welcome people with different types of experience and outlooks.
You’ll really thrive at Cuvva if you have a ‘can do’ approach, are willing to try your hand at different things, have ideas and show initiative.
We are looking for a data engineer to work on improving the accessibility of our wide range of data, helping to enable our wider non-technical team to be data-driven, spot patterns and opportunities, etc.
As a result of our approach building a large number of small isolated services, we currently maintain ~20 databases which only exist in isolation - preventing querying across different systems. You will take ownership of all our data processing activities, working to make it easier to work with our databases.
We expect this might initially be achieved by building out a data warehousing system, bringing together a copy of all the data from our separate databases into a single large database. This currently seems like the most pragmatic approach to resolving the problem, as it will then enable querying using standard off-the-shelf tools, but we're also open to considering alternative options.
Longer term, we'd also expect to bring some kind of data processing framework into use, reducing the need for a single massive database, with a view to eventually enabling both technical and non-technical staff to implement processing pipelines to support their day-to-day work.
Although it's important for you to be comfortable wearing a "data analyst" hat a lot of the time, we will eventually bring on a number of data analysts who would work with you to build out a whole team dedicated to data analysis.
- 5+ years' engineering experience on systems operating at scale
- In-depth knowledge with data modelling, ETL/data processing systems, data warehousing, etc.
- A systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving, paying close attention to detail, etc.
- Experience working with relational and document-oriented databases - we use Postgres and Mongo primarily
- Experience working flexibly across different teams involving product, marketing and operations
- A strong focus on how data is/will be used and implications on people/process/product/technology
As well as a competitive salary (£70-80k, dependent on experience) and equity based remuneration, benefits of working at Cuvva include:
- Working in our dog friendly 🐕❤️offices in London
- Professional development budget
- Health and wellbeing budget 🧘♂️
- Workplace pension scheme
- Office library full of great books 📚
- Breakfast club on Fridays
- Season ticket loans 🚂
- Cycle to work scheme
- Brand new MacBook 💻
- Volunteer day off
- One-to-one sessions with our Sanctus coach, giving you a safe space to talk about your mental health 🧠
- Work-from-home Wednesdays
- Coffee machine and fresh fruit in the office ☕️
- Referral bonus when you bring your friends to join the Cuvva team
- Fully stocked beer and soft drink fridge - we do team drinks every Thursday 🍻
- Regular team lunches
- Monthly team outings (so far we’ve done things like karaoke, go-karting, bowling and comedy night) 🎤
- 33 days of holiday a year (including public holidays 🌞)