Backend Engineer (senior)
At Cuvva we’re building insurance the way it should be.
No more lengthy forms. No more waiting on hold. No more ‘computer says no’ attitude.
We’ve gone back to basics to build products that actually work for the customer.
We are super focused on creating a friendly, simple and hassle-free customer experience.
Don’t just take our word for it - check out our website (https://www.cuvva.com), click on the speech bubble in the bottom right hand corner and chat to one of the team.
About the Cuvva team
We get it. Insurance isn’t traditionally considered exciting. At Cuvva we’re changing insurance and we are looking for people who find that as exciting as we do.
We're building a diverse team and we welcome people with different types of experience and outlooks.
You’ll really thrive at Cuvva if you have a ‘can do’ approach, are willing to try your hand at different things, have ideas and show initiative.
We're looking for a software engineer who has held senior positions in engineering teams within high-growth, high-scale startups, who will operate with a high level of autonomy, ensuring impeccable reliability and availability. You care deeply about building rock-solid infrastructure for the long term, with a track record of delivering solutions which support your team and your product.
You will develop Cuvva's core platform, abstracting the key processes required to sell insurance, delivering solutions that allow the team to develop strong and stable products, without having to spend time ensuring they get the basics right.
Aside from developing core platform services, we expect you will also become heavily involved with ops and security activities, contributing towards the maintenance of our servers, AWS account, etc.
When we refer to the "core platform", we mean the services which underpin the processes of all insurance activities on our system.
For example, we expect one of these to be the "policy service", which might be responsible for ensuring compliant issuance of policies, coordinating mid-term adjustments, preventing overlapping policies (double insurance), etc.
Other services could include user authentication, risk & pricing calculation, handling the process of modifying user data in-line with any mid-term adjustment requirements.
All services we consider to be part of the core platform will have strict requirements around stability, data integrity and transactional safety. All functionality must fail safely and explicitly, for example using 2-phase commit processes or other similar techniques. This will also require a reasonable level of testing to validate this safety.
The perfect addition to our team will have:
- a fiercely independent and self-driven approach
- 5+ years' commercial experience working on back-end systems at high-scale startups
- at least a year of commercial experience working with Go
- strong knowledge of security practices, ideally with a slightly grey-hat background
- a working knowledge of the entire web stack - from how DNS lookups are transmitted, to how browsers prioritize CSS rules
- awareness of compliance and financial regulation
We are a small team so it is important that the successful candidate is not only technically highly competent, but also a great cultural fit!
We’re committed to ensuring that everyone has a fair chance to join Cuvva, whatever your background. We will always treat your application in a fair and equal manner.
As well as a competitive salary (£60-75k, dependent on experience) and equity based remuneration, benefits of working at Cuvva include:
- Working in our dog friendly 🐕❤️offices in London
- Professional development budget
- Health and wellbeing budget 🧘♂️
- Workplace pension scheme
- Office library full of great books 📚
- Breakfast club on Fridays
- Season ticket loans 🚂
- Cycle to work scheme
- Brand new MacBook 💻
- Volunteer day off
- One-to-one sessions with our Sanctus coach, giving you a safe space to talk about your mental health 🧠
- Work-from-home Wednesdays
- Coffee machine and fresh fruit in the office ☕️
- Referral bonus when you bring your friends to join the Cuvva team
- Fully stocked beer and soft drink fridge - we do team drinks every Thursday 🍻
- Regular team lunches
- Monthly team outings (so far we’ve done things like karaoke, go-karting, bowling and comedy night) 🎤
- 33 days of holiday a year (including public holidays 🌞)